Price range, per nightmin R max R
Whilst there are no specific boundaries, the area known as the City Bowl in Cape Town is defined by Table Mountain, Lion’s Head and Signal Hill to form a natural amphitheatre. The City Bowl encompasses the business district, harbour and several residential areas. It’s the pulsating heart of Cape Town city.
The City Bowl sits on an ancient granite base surrounded by sandstone mountains. In the 1950s, steps were taken to reclaim land from the sea to build the Foreshore area and thereby extend the harbour further out to sea. This area is largely commercial with residential areas located closer to the mountain slopes.
When visiting Cape Town, the lively City Bowl is the most convenient destination to start your journey.
Top 10 reasons to visit the City Bowl
1. You’re in the centre of Cape Town, take a free city walking tour – starting at St George’s Mall – to learn of the city’s history and to view the many attractions along the route.
2. The pedestrian avenue in the Company’s Garden is known as the Museum Mile for the many and varied museums located here. Not to be missed are the South African Museum with in-house Planetarium, the Holocaust Museum and the Slave Lodge.
3. Cape Town streets are filled with trendy shops, unique antiques, African curios, urban art, restaurants, clubs and cafés. The city has something for practically everyone.
4. The oldest military building, the pentagon-shaped Cape of Good Hope Castle is worth visiting to watch the changing of the guard and to visit the gaol and dungeon. The Castle houses the important William Fehr Collection of South African art.
5. Visit the vibrant Bo-Kaap area to experience daily life amongst the brightly coloured historic homes. Sample a traditional snack or join a Cape Malay cuisine cooking tour.
6. Climb Lion’s Head, rated by National Geographic... Show more
For those who are a little adventurous and enjoy the company of other travellers, you can decide to stay at a Backpackers. Often having to share a room with others as well as costs, it is incredibly inexpensive. Often the best choice for those who may be just passing through or will be occupied for the majority of their day. It comes with the most basic amenities and is often formed as part of a bar or similar establishment. Not recommended for those who want privacy, this is best suited for those who wouldn’t mind meeting various other interesting travellers.