Price range, per nightmin R max R
A place of natural beauty and diverse marine life, the Elephant Coast along the northern stretches of KwaZulu-Natal Province in South Africa comprises the continent’s oldest game reserve, pristine beaches with ancient dune systems along a vast tropical coastline, unique wetlands and tribal traditions.
A small settlement in the area is named Dukuduku, a Zulu word meaning ‘groping in the dark’ because of the thickness of bush and many wild animals, including large herds of elephants, in the area. This problem, along with flooding rivers and the threat of malaria and bilharzia are the likely reasons why the area remained unspoilt for so long. Today, the Elephant Coast attracts hordes of nature lovers, water sports enthusiasts and those seeking absolute solitude.
The Elephant Coast is the ultimate location for holidaymakers wishing to combine a beach and bushveld getaway.
Top 8 reasons to visit the Elephant Coast
1. Take a night time tour along the beaches at Kosi Bay to watch the female loggerhead and leatherback turtles arrive in large numbers to lay their eggs in the dunes. This spectacle occurs between June and November and hatching happens 60 days later.
2. For Big 5 (lion, elephant, leopard, rhino and buffalo) game viewing, visit the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Game Park, a UNESCO world heritage site where concerted efforts are being made to conserve the rhino.
3. Scuba divers flock to Sodwana Bay for excellent reef diving. From the brilliant, colourful macro life at the Bikini Reef System to Quarter Mile Reef bursting with sharks and rays, the reef variations here are practically endless.
4. Purchase a colourful Zulu handcrafted basket or wood carving at Ilala Weavers. The site has a museum and a village where crafters can be seen showcasing skills handed down over the centuries.
5. Visit the fish kraals used by the local Thonga people in Kosi Bay to... Show more
For guests who are self-sufficient and would much prefer their own space and privacy, there are apartments. These are designed to ensure guests feel right at home and have a proper living space to enjoy on their holiday. Apartments are self-catering and come with a fully equipped kitchen, living room and at least one en suite bathroom. More often than not, guests will enjoy spectacular views of their surrounds, and find that they are close to shops and transport. Apartments are ideally suited for families or small groups of friends. Apartments come in all shapes and sizes and prices to suit your preference or budget. You can find the apartment tailored to your needs.