Price range, per nightmin R max R
Warm and friendly people in South Africa - Elephant Coast.
A place of natural beauty and diverse marine life, the Elephant Coast along the northern stretches of KwaZulu-Natal Province in South Africa comprises the continent’s oldest game reserve, pristine beaches with ancient dune systems along a vast tropical coastline, unique wetlands and tribal traditions.
A small settlement in the area is named Dukuduku, a Zulu word meaning ‘groping in the dark’ because of the thickness of bush and many wild animals, including large herds of elephants, in the area. This problem, along with flooding rivers and the threat of malaria and bilharzia are the likely reasons why the area remained unspoilt for so long. Today, the Elephant Coast attracts hordes of nature lovers, water sports enthusiasts and those seeking absolute solitude.
The Elephant Coast is the ultimate location for holidaymakers wishing to combine a beach and bushveld getaway.
Top 8 reasons to visit the Elephant Coast
1. Take a night time tour along the beaches at Kosi Bay to watch the female loggerhead and leatherback turtles arrive in large numbers to lay their eggs in the dunes. This spectacle occurs between June and November and hatching happens 60 days later.
2. For Big 5 (lion, elephant, leopard, rhino and buffalo) game viewing, visit the Hluhluwe iMfolozi Game Park, a UNESCO world heritage site where concerted efforts are being made to conserve the rhino.
3. Scuba divers flock to Sodwana Bay for excellent reef diving. From the brilliant, colourful macro life at the Bikini Reef System to Quarter Mile Reef bursting with sharks and rays, the reef variations here are practically endless.
4. Purchase a colourful Zulu handcrafted basket or wood carving at Ilala Weavers. The site has a museum and a village where crafters can be seen showcasing skills handed down over the centuries.
5. Visit the fish kraals used by the local Thonga people in Kosi Bay to... Show more
Hotels offer guests a reliable, and comfortable place to stay while on holiday. All the basic amenities and facilities are provided, making your stay there simple and hassle-free. While hotels are the more expensive option, guests are sure to find one in the location they wish to visit and explore, making them an ideal option for those wanting basic accommodation and basecamp for their holiday. Guests wanting a little more than the basics, they should consider staying at themed or or 5 starred hotel. Choose from the wide variety of hotels across South Africa on AccommoDirect.