Price range, per nightmin R max R
Faerie Glen, Kameeldrift, Waterkloof Ridge, Val de Grace, Hatfield, Montana, Menlo Park, Colbyn , Garsfontein, Waterkloof, Pretoria (Tshwane), Muckleneuk, Moreleta Park, Rietondale, Wapadrand, Pretoria North, Silver Lakes , Lynnwood Ridge, Akasia, Brooklyn Pretoria
Situated in the east of Pretoria city, Erasmuskloof suburb comprises private and secure gated communities with most residential homes afforded awesome views of the surrounding area. The Armaments Corporation of South Africa (Armscor) headquarters occupies much of the suburb and their landscaped gardens include the magnificent Victorian modernist building known as Erasmus Castle.
Erasmuskloof was originally part of a farm called Garsfontein (barley fountain), settled by the Erasmus family who built the castle. The farm has since been subdivided into many suburbs, however, Erasmuskloof is where the family chose the site for their castle.
The suburb has excellent amenities with schools, hospitals and recreational facilities close by. The national highway runs along the western border of Erasmuskloof.
Top 6 reasons to visit Erasmuskloof
1. The Wolwespruit Mountain Bike and Trail Park has 2 trail runs and 4 mountain bike tracks ranging from beginner to advanced rider level. Some of the tracks have ‘chicken runs’ to avoid more challenging sections of the route.
2. Castle Walk Shopping Centre has all the necessary conveniences to stock up on supplies. For an exciting retail experience, visit the vast Menlyn Park Shopping Centre north of Erasmuskloof. This mall has 275 stores spread over 4 levels, movie theatres and ample parking.
3. Want a bird’s eye view of the city? Check out the camera obscura at the University of Pretoria Sci-Enza Science Centre. Using the placement of a series of sophisticated lenses, the camera picks up sharp images of the city, extending all the way to the Magaliesberg Mountains.
4. While in the city, stop in at the State Theatre to view the old stage equipment and costume memorabilia on display in the Artifacts Gallery. Theatre shows cover all forms of art from poetry readings to grand opera.
5. The Rietvlei Nature Reserve 10km south of Erasmuskloof offers game viewing, hiking trails, fishing and bird watching. Expect to see rhino, cheetah and buffalo on a game drive while anglers can look forward to landing yellowfish, tilapia and carp in the large dam.
6. The 18-hole championship parkland course at Wingate Park Country Club challenges even the most competent of golfers. Visitors are welcome. The club has a driving range for those too busy to enjoy a round.
The nearest airport is OR Tambo International Airport, 40km from Erasmuskloof. Domestic flights arrive and leave from Lanseria Airport, a 59km journey. Other airports for chartered flights are Wonderboom (31km) and Grand Central in Midrand (29km). Catch the Gautrain, a fast train service that travels between the OR Tambo Airport and the Arcadia Street station, 13km north of Erasmuskloof. Car rental agencies are located at the airport and throughout Pretoria city or book a vehicle online. Metered taxi companies are based in and around Erasmuskloof. If you have the Uber app, order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
The Erasmus Castle was designed by a Dutch architect who, being unfamiliar with the climate and path of the sun, positioned the building to face in a southerly direction. An ideal home placement in the southern hemisphere would be facing northwards.
Pretoria has less wind than any other area in Gauteng Province and is a multi-cultural city; 9 of the 11 official languages are spoken here.
For a more down to earth experience there are guest houses. Less expensive than hotels, they offer a more homey environment, as well as more privacy. Converted from a private house it’s a much gentler environment and for those with furry friends, there are also pet friendly options. They are usually well situated with shops and places of interest nearby. Being so small it offers a much more personal and intimate attention to it’s upkeep, leaving you with a more polished and homely experience.