Price range, per nightmin R max R
Tranquil environment and great views!
The glamorous suburb of Kosmos on the banks of the scenic 1620ha Hartbeespoort Dam in the North West Province of South Africa is the preferred destination for jaded city dwellers wanting to enjoy the varied recreational facilities on offer around the dam.
Kosmos looks out over the calm dam waters and alongside the Crocodile River dam wall, with the Magaliesburg range of mountains enveloping the suburb. Countless jetties protrude from the dam banks for home owners and visitors to participate in exciting water sports or for a gentle cruise on the water.
On Sunday mornings, the calm of the Kosmos suburb is briefly interrupted by the roar of motorbikes attending the popular Breakfast Run, when bikers from surrounding cities arrive for a breakfast at one of the many restaurants on the dam before returning via the winding roads so loved by motorbike enthusiasts.
Top 10 reasons to visit Kosmos
1. Hire a yacht at the Yacht Club or opt for a leisure boat cruise around Hartbeespoort Dam. Look out for the endangered Cape vulture soaring high in the thermals above.
2. The Sandy Lane Golf Club is a beautiful 9-hole course built around water features and up against the dam for Kosmos visitors to appreciate. The course is closed on Mondays.
3. Get to know the African elephant at the Hartbeespoort Elephant Sanctuary. Tours include trunk-in-hand walks or a bareback ride on the elephant’s back.
4. The Chameleon Village nearby has curios and traditional crafts, boutique shops, an art gallery, children’s playpark and several restaurants all within a landscaped indigenous garden.
5. The Hartbeespoort Dam Snake and Animal Park is home to a number of endangered species such as the wild dog and Cape vulture. The park also houses several cat species and exotic creatures. Snake, seal and animal handling demonstrations take place over weekends.
6. Take the Hartbeespoort Aerial Cableway... Show more