Price range, per nightmin R max R
Sandhurst, Fourways, Kyalami, Houghton, Melville, Melrose, Bryanston, Sunninghill, Johannesburg (Joburg), Dinokeng, Gold Reef City, Braamfontein, Midrand, O.R. Tambo Airport, Lanseria, Auckland Park, Sandton, North Riding, Rosebank JHB, Northcliff - Johannesburg
SAB World of Beer, Johannesburg Zoo, Liliesleaf Farm, Hillbrow Tower, Northgate Dome, Satyagraha House, Sandton City, Bensusan Photographic Museum, Moyo Restaurants, Enoch Sontonga Memorial Park, Nelson Mandela Square, Newtown Cultural Precinct, Johannesburg Art Gallery and Sculpture Park, Nelson Mandela Bridge, Constitution Hill, Apartheid Museum, Brenthurst Gardens, Radium Beer Hall, Rand Easter Show, ABSA Art Gallery, The Bag Factory, Oriental Plaza, MuseuMAfricA, Standard Bank Gallery
The verdant suburb of Linden is appropriately named, considering that Linden is a tree genus. Linden is one of the more established suburbs of Johannesburg having been laid out over a hundred years ago.
Linden lies north of the Johannesburg Botanic Gardens and west of the sprawling Delta Park. The suburb typically has schools and churches, as well as a heated public swimming pool and small shopping quarter with some of the better known restaurants located here.
Only 15 minutes away from both Johannesburg city centre and the Sandton business district, Linden is well positioned to suit business travellers and holiday makers.
Top 6 reasons to visit Linden
1. The restaurants and cafés wedged together down 7th Street gives the visitor a number of choices in which to enjoy exceptional meals and well-brewed coffee.
2. A trip to the Johannesburg Botanic Gardens requires a full day to appreciate the 80ha of specialist gardens, water features, and lush picnic areas, indigenous and exotic plants. The vast Emmarentia Dam lies within the gardens.
3. The Cresta Shopping Centre is a large mall with 200 retail stores, over 30 restaurants, a cinema complex and the late night Barnyard Theatre for live shows enjoyed over a meal.
4. Travel into Soweto to join a guided Soweto Shebeen tour. The shebeens (unlicenced – and at one stage, illegal – bars) are located mostly in private homes where the locals gather for drinks. This tour could best be described as a quirky pub crawl!
5. Visit the Bensusan Museum of Photography and Library at the MuseuMAfricA complex in Newtown to view the interesting old handmade equipment and resultant photographs, as well as some of South African photographers’ works. The museum has an extensive photographic library. Closed on Mondays.
6. While in Newtown, take a tour of the SAB World of Beer to learn of the history of beer making and the ingredients and processes involved in producing a beer. The tour includes two sample beers for tasting.
Linden is equidistant from OR Tambo international airport and Lanseria domestic airport, a 35 minute drive. The Gautrain (express rail service) operates between the airport and Rosebank, the nearest stop from Linden a mere 15 minutes away. Order a car rental from the various agencies at the airport or online. There are a number of metered taxi and shuttle service companies operating in Johannesburg or you could register with Uber and order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
In Slovenia, the Linden tree is a national icon; a specimen was planted in the capital’s Republic Square on the day of their independence and statesmen would in the past meet under a 700 year old tree as a form of symbolic tradition.
The 7.5ha Emmarentia Dam was built using a labour force of returning Boer soldiers who had lost their families and farms during the South African war between 1899 and 1902. The landowner initiated a farm sharing scheme for those who applied themselves.
Guests escape the noise and bustle of lodges by opting to stay in either fully self-catering or bed and breakfast cottages. Self-catering cottages are a home away from home and come fully equipped with everything guests need. Most self catering cottages also come with a cleaning service, Dstv, and a private patio/entertainment area. Guests who opt for bed and breakfast cottages enjoy their own private patio/entertainment area, luxury amenities, Dstv, and cleaning service. There is often a small kitchenette, if guests wish to do a little cooking, and a relaxing lounge area. Cottages are ideal for families, small groups of friends and couples wishing for a more private retreat.