Price range, per nightmin R max R
Houghton, O.R. Tambo Airport, Lanseria, Sandhurst, Fourways, Sandton, Dinokeng, Honeydew, Melrose, Auckland Park, Kyalami, Rosebank JHB, Northcliff - Johannesburg, Sunninghill, Melville, Midrand, Bryanston, Braamfontein, Gold Reef City, Johannesburg (Joburg)
Northgate Dome, SAB World of Beer, Johannesburg Zoo, Bensusan Photographic Museum, Satyagraha House, Liliesleaf Farm, Hillbrow Tower, Enoch Sontonga Memorial Park, Moyo Restaurants, Newtown Cultural Precinct, Sandton City, Nelson Mandela Square, Johannesburg Art Gallery and Sculpture Park, Brenthurst Gardens, Nelson Mandela Bridge, Constitution Hill, Rand Easter Show, Apartheid Museum, Radium Beer Hall, ABSA Art Gallery, Oriental Plaza, The Bag Factory, Standard Bank Gallery, MuseuMAfricA
The verdant suburb of Linden is appropriately named, considering that Linden is a tree genus. Linden is one of the more established suburbs of Johannesburg having been laid out over a hundred years ago.
Linden lies north of the Johannesburg Botanic Gardens and west of the sprawling Delta Park. The suburb typically has schools and churches, as well as a heated public swimming pool and small shopping quarter with some of the better known restaurants located here.
Only 15 minutes away from both Johannesburg city centre and the Sandton business district, Linden is well positioned to suit business travellers and holiday makers.
Top 6 reasons to visit Linden
1. The restaurants and cafés wedged together down 7th Street gives the visitor a number of choices in which to enjoy exceptional meals and well-brewed coffee.
2. A trip to the Johannesburg Botanic Gardens requires a full day to appreciate the 80ha of specialist gardens, water features, and lush picnic areas, indigenous and exotic plants. The vast Emmarentia Dam lies within the gardens.
3. The Cresta Shopping Centre is a large mall with 200 retail stores, over 30 restaurants, a cinema complex and the late night Barnyard Theatre for live shows enjoyed over a meal.
4. Travel into Soweto to join a guided Soweto Shebeen tour. The shebeens (unlicenced – and at one stage, illegal – bars) are located mostly in private homes where the locals gather for drinks. This tour could best be described as a quirky pub crawl!
5. Visit the Bensusan Museum of Photography and Library at the MuseuMAfricA complex in Newtown to view the interesting old handmade equipment and resultant photographs, as well as some of South African photographers’ works. The museum has an extensive photographic library. Closed on Mondays.
6. While in Newtown, take a tour of the SAB World of Beer to learn of the history of beer making and the ingredients and processes involved in producing a beer. The tour includes two sample beers for tasting.
Linden is equidistant from OR Tambo international airport and Lanseria domestic airport, a 35 minute drive. The Gautrain (express rail service) operates between the airport and Rosebank, the nearest stop from Linden a mere 15 minutes away. Order a car rental from the various agencies at the airport or online. There are a number of metered taxi and shuttle service companies operating in Johannesburg or you could register with Uber and order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
In Slovenia, the Linden tree is a national icon; a specimen was planted in the capital’s Republic Square on the day of their independence and statesmen would in the past meet under a 700 year old tree as a form of symbolic tradition.
The 7.5ha Emmarentia Dam was built using a labour force of returning Boer soldiers who had lost their families and farms during the South African war between 1899 and 1902. The landowner initiated a farm sharing scheme for those who applied themselves.
For a more down to earth experience there are guest houses. Less expensive than hotels, they offer a more homey environment, as well as more privacy. Converted from a private house it’s a much gentler environment and for those with furry friends, there are also pet friendly options. They are usually well situated with shops and places of interest nearby. Being so small it offers a much more personal and intimate attention to it’s upkeep, leaving you with a more polished and homely experience.