Price range, per nightmin R max R
Chaka's Rock, Kosi Bay, Durban Beachfront, Kloof, Durban Central, Cathedral Peak, Umdloti Beach, Midlands, Durban, Lake Jozini, Glenwood, Bluff, Oslo Beach, Hillcrest, Champagne castle, Westville, La Lucia, Berea, Durban North, Glen Ashley
I enjoyed Florida Road.
The beach and Gateway Mall.
Morningside is one of Durban’s most fashionable suburbs with an established restaurant scene and where sugar barons left a legacy of stately Victorian homes. The suburb is located high on a hill overlooking the Indian Ocean coastline and with views of the Umgeni River to the north, while neighbouring Windermere suburb has a bustling nightlife to appreciate. Durban’s beaches are a cycle ride away, as is the Durban Country Club and Moses Mabhida mixed-use stadium.
When visiting Durban, South Africa’s head of state resides in the century-old palatial Morningside estate, Dr John Dube House (formerly Kings House).
With majestic views, sprawling parks and a warm subtropical climate, Morningside attracts holiday makers pursuing an above average vacation experience.
Top 8 reasons to visit Morningside
1. The Burman Bush Nature Reserve is located within the suburb, a 55ha strip of pristine coastal forest where the shy blue duiker can be viewed and vast birdlife nest in the trees. The 3 walking trails range from 500m to 2km in length.
2. Take a stroll along the Golden Mile and stop at one of Durban’s many beaches to cool off in the warm Indian Ocean. Addington Beach is enjoyed for its calm waters while South Beach is popular with both swimmers and surfers.
3. Originally an ostrich farm, Morningside’s Mitchell Park has a zoo, walk-through aviary, playground and a tea garden under shady trees to keep all members of the family entertained. Splashes of colour from flowering plants makes this park one of the city’s most attractive.
4. Florida Road in neighbouring Windermere is bursting with hip sidewalk cafés, foodie hotspots and wine bars. The area sees its share of celebrities and dignitaries, Bill Clinton was once spotted in a restaurant…
5. Visit The Firm to tighten up and tone those muscles. The centre uses custom equipment to assist in firming the body in controlled... Show more
For those who are a little adventurous and enjoy the company of other travellers, you can decide to stay at a Backpackers. Often having to share a room with others as well as costs, it is incredibly inexpensive. Often the best choice for those who may be just passing through or will be occupied for the majority of their day. It comes with the most basic amenities and is often formed as part of a bar or similar establishment. Not recommended for those who want privacy, this is best suited for those who wouldn’t mind meeting various other interesting travellers.