Price range, per nightmin R max R
The district of Rheenendal lies on the edge of the Knysna forest, a piece of blissful countryside and home to artists, nature lovers and skilled crafters. The area consists of pastured land and fynbos, separated from the coastal towns in the Western Cape Province by vast forests.
Rheenendal has become extremely popular following the establishment of the Rheenendal Ramble, a route that runs from the national highway to the old gold mining areas of Millwood. The ramble encompasses forest walks, beautiful craft centres, mountain bike trails and foodies can enjoy farm fresh goods and local preserves at quaint farm stalls.
Rivers run through Rheenendal, sit on the banks and watch as brightly coloured kingfishers dart into the water to spear a fish or the majestic fish eagle swoops down to collect larger prey.
Only 22km from Knysna, Rheenendal is perfectly balanced between peaceful rural living and modern conveniences at your doorstep.
Top 6 reasons to visit Rheenendal
1. Explore the forests on foot to marvel at the giant yellowwood trees and richness of birdlife.
2. History buffs will be entertained by the Millwood mining town established in 1888 after gold was discovered here. Take along a torch to visit the Bendingo shaft and browse the shed alongside containing old mining equipment.
3. There are a number of established mountain bike trails scattered throughout the area. The annual Rheenendal Memorial Mountain Bike Challenge attracts bikers from all over the country.
4. Rheenendal is on the trail running calendar, the exciting 9-27km Houtkapper Trail Run takes place here every July.
5. The Drupkelders Rock Pools trail is a must for hikers. Book early, as only 12 permits are issued per day for this hiking trail. For a more strenuous hike, the route to the stunningly beautiful Jubilee Creek is recommended.
6. The exquisite beaches, fresh water lakes and serene lagoons surrounding Knysna and... Show more
Guests escape the noise and bustle of lodges by opting to stay in either fully self-catering or bed and breakfast cottages. Self-catering cottages are a home away from home and come fully equipped with everything guests need. Most self catering cottages also come with a cleaning service, Dstv, and a private patio/entertainment area. Guests who opt for bed and breakfast cottages enjoy their own private patio/entertainment area, luxury amenities, Dstv, and cleaning service. There is often a small kitchenette, if guests wish to do a little cooking, and a relaxing lounge area. Cottages are ideal for families, small groups of friends and couples wishing for a more private retreat.