Price range, per nightmin R max R
A cross between farming community and fairy tale village, The Crags lies 20km north of Plettenberg Bay along South Africa’s southern Cape coastline known as the Garden Route. Being in the countryside one expects to experience only peace and quiet, however, The Crags residents have created an entertaining arts/wildlife/activity/wine route to compliment the surroundings.
Close to Blue Flag appointed beaches and the many tourist attractions along this route, The Crags is also near to the Western Province and Eastern Cape border where the mystical Tsitsikamma forests and Storms River mouth lie.
The weather is temperate year round, the attractions are abundant and the locals warm and friendly, The Crags should be at the top of your list of Garden Route layovers.
Top 10 reasons to visit The Crags
1. It’s a moving experience visiting the Tenikwa Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre. Here, passionate vets and individuals help to rehabilitate and conserve marine and terrestrial animals. All sorts of tours are offered, including a walk with cheetahs. The facility has a coffee shop and curios sold help to fund the centre.
2. Walk side by side with the continent’s largest beast, the African elephant at the Elephant Sanctuary. Visitors are allowed to touch, ride and help feed the animals.
3. The Old Nick Village concept is one of old time trading stores where creative and hand-made products are offered by merchants. The village holds a mid-week market and there is a working, weaving museum where one can observe textiles woven on ancient looms.
4. The Plettenberg Bay Game Reserve & Safari Centre offers day visitors a 2-hour open vehicle safari on their vast 2200ha property to view lion, rhino, wild dog, buffalo and many other smaller species. Horseback safaris are also offered.
5. Sample the excellent wines of the Bramon Wine Estate where the cool sea breeze has aided in creating... Show more