Price range, per nightmin R max R
A very attractive and handy for the showgrounds.
Wembly (Wembley) is a small suburb of Pietermaritzburg, north-west of the city and bordering the national highway linking the KwaZulu-Natal coast with the Gauteng Province, South Africa. The suburb has a semi-rural feel with large properties concealed amongst the lush green flora.
Pietermaritzburg sits at an elevation of 596m above sea level, escaping the oftentimes stifling humidity experienced nearer the coastline. The region’s climate is subtropical where all manner of plants thrive throughout the year.
Wembly’s leafy green properties are set in a quiet secluded area, bringing a sense of peace to the business and leisure travellers that regularly stay over in the suburb.
Top 6 reasons to visit Wembly
1. Pietermaritzburg has some of the most interesting historic buildings interspersed with modern architectural marvels. Walk the streets to enjoy the buzz surrounding this academic city.
2. Hop on the highway to reach the coastal road and stop off at any of the countless sandy beaches found here. The KwaZulu-Natal Province has almost 600km of coastline to enjoy swimming, surfing, boating and angling.
3. Take the Freedom Route Tour between Pietermaritzburg and Durban. Highlights include the spine-chilling gallows at the old Pietermaritzburg prison, the Luthuli Museum (in honour of South Africa’s 1st Nobel Peace Prize winner) and the Phoenix settlement where Mahatma Gandhi was active and current President Jacob Zuma once lived.
4. Twenty kilometres out of Pietermaritzburg lies the Albert Falls Resource Reserve, a blissful piece of paradise often overlooked by visitors to the area. Popular activities include horseback riding, canoeing and bass fishing. The picnic areas are frequented by buck and small mammals.
5. The Liberty Midlands Mall has over 160 shops in which to purchase a few quality gifts for the family back home. The mall has several large retail outlets, a cinema complex and food court. Have your car washed while shopping.
6. The Tatham Gallery is rated among the country's top art museums, housing European masterpieces and important local contemporary works. Entrance is free.
Pietermaritzburg has its own domestic airport, Oribi Airport, for flights to and from OR Tambo International in Johannesburg. Chartered flights can be taken from King Shaka International Airport in Durban to Oribi Airport. Pietermaritzburg has various car rental agencies, however, a rental can be ordered online. Metered taxis operate in Pietermaritzburg and from the airports. Pietermaritzburg lies on the main railway line between Durban and Johannesburg and most bus liners travel via the city.
Did you know?
Mahatma Gandhi’s wife Kasturba, politically active like her husband, was once sentenced to 3 months’ hard labour in the Pietermaritzburg old prison for participating in a 1913 protest against unfair working conditions.
The satirical British author Tom Sharpe, best known for his Wilt series of books, spent 10 years of his life in Pietermaritzburg before being labelled a seditionist – following the release of his play The South African – and deported to the UK in 1961.
For a more down to earth experience there are guest houses. Less expensive than hotels, they offer a more homey environment, as well as more privacy. Converted from a private house it’s a much gentler environment and for those with furry friends, there are also pet friendly options. They are usually well situated with shops and places of interest nearby. Being so small it offers a much more personal and intimate attention to it’s upkeep, leaving you with a more polished and homely experience.