Price range, per nightmin R max R
East London’s Woodleigh, located deep in suburbia, is sheltered by tracts of parkland to the south with the Nahoon River flowing a short distance to the north. Woodleigh is a bicycle ride away from the sparkling Indian Ocean on this south-easterly section of the South African coastline.
Aside from the suburb’s close proximity to the Nahoon River and beach, Woodleigh is near to schools, shopping centres, restaurants and the city’s nightlife. The leafy James Pearce Park lies to the east, a venue popular for wedding photographs, picnics, flea markets and walking the dog.
The origin of the suburb’s name is unknown but we would like to think it’s named after Agatha Christie’s town of Woodleigh Common.
Top 6 reasons to visit Woodleigh
1. Relax on East London’s welcoming beaches. Nahoon Beach is the closest and the city’s most popular for swimming, fishing at the river mouth and surfing the challenging waves at Nahoon Point. For families, Orient Beach has 2 swimming pools, a grassed areas and several restaurants overlooking the ocean.
2. The city hosts the annual East London Agricultural Show, well frequented by the locals and visitors from neighbouring towns. The show offers polo matches, show jumping events, a craft market, food stalls, dog show and funfair.
3. The Vincent Park shopping mall is less than 4km from Woodleigh. The centre has 70 stores, 5 cinemas, a large open food court, banking hall and plenty parking.
4. Walk through the 10ha Queens Park Zoological Gardens, situated in a natural coastal forest belt, to appreciate the endemic fauna. The East London Zoo is incorporated into the gardens and has over 40 mammal species on view. The wild cats and primate enclosures are always popular.
5. Visit the Art Versatile gallery in Vincent to view the fabulous pottery created by Litha Ncokazi. His works of clay are winning awards and are... Show more