The Coach House is a separate self-contained 160-year-old restored thatched cottage situated in Bredasdorp, a town in the Southern Overberg region of the Western Cape, and lies on the northern edge of the Agulhas Plain, about 160 km south-east of Cape Town and 35 km north of Cape Agulhas.
This quaint cottage has been restored to maintain the original vernacular and feeling of the Southern Cape fishermen's cottages, with a reed-thatched roof, white walls, and exposed beams, some taken from the shipwrecks which surround this coastline. The spacious, clean and comfortable cottage is set in a pretty garden with a private entrance and can host a maximum of 5 guests. There is off street parking and it is close to the village centre, excellent restaurants, and business and recreational facilities.
The Coach House comprises an open-plan living room, bedroom, kitchenette and bathroom on the ground level, with a loft area equipped with 3 single beds. Features include a private entrance, off-street parking, garden patio, DSTV and a continental breakfast at an additional cost.
The town of Bredasdorp had its beginnings when a group of members of the Dutch Reformed Church , tired of having to travel 70 km's or more to the nearest place of worship in either Swellendam or Caledon, singled out the farm Langfontein (which sprawled along the base of the mountain with a good supply of water, grazing and some established buildings) for the site of a new church and settlement for their small but growing community. In 1838 the land was surveyed and the church began selling erven to the community.
In 1860, the erf on which the Coach House stands today, was sold to one Nacomo Quarenberg, who build his dwelling from the materials availablesunbaked. The front squared beam downstairs which supports the loft was propably gleaned from one of the many shipwrecks along the coastline of Arniston or l'Agulhas.
The entire village was controlled by the Dutch Reformed Church (D.R.C.) in the absence of any other local authority. One of the conditions of sale in every Title Deed handed to the new owners was that no "canteen or bottle store" would be built on the site, nor any "wine or strong drink" sold from the premises. The exceptions were a canteen belonging to Mr. Orchard, and Fletcher's Bar where travellers could find lodgings, meals and liquid refreshment. These conditions exist in Title Deeds of the town to this day as a quaint reminder of the town's beginnings.
Although too much restoration work has been done on the two dwellings on the erf for them to qualify as National Monuments, enough of the original buildings remain for them to have been listed by the National Monuments Council as worthy of preservation.
Shower room 1
Coffee and Tea