Price range, per nightmin R max R
Bayswater, Brandwag, Fichardtpark, Pellissier, Bloemfontein, Bloemfontein CBD, Universitas, Pentagon Park, Langenhoven Park, Westdene, Heuwelsig, Groenvlei, Roodewal, Helicon Heights, Universitas Ridge
The northern residential suburb of Dan Pienaar in Bloemfontein is named after Major General Dan Pienaar, a military commander recognised by the British for his achievements and leadership displayed during World War II. The suburb is well laid out with schools, churches and a large shopping centre. Dan Pienaar is within a short distance of Bloemfontein city centre and the major north-south highway.
Bloemfontein is a refined academic city filled with beautiful historic sandstone buildings, memorials and statues set amongst green parks and large trees. The region experiences warm dry summer days and in winter, the mornings are icy but warm to an acceptable temperature during the day.
Being in the centre of the country, all roads lead through Bloemfontein and Dan Pienaar is a popular stayover for those travelling to and from the coast.
Top 6 reasons to visit Dan Pienaar
1. Pop in to Preller Plein Mall in Dan Pienaar for a coffee break, to stock up on supplies, grab a bite to eat or unearth a bargain at one of the many boutique shops.
2. Walk the streets of the city to appreciate the architecture and monuments. Bloemfontein is often referred to as the City of Roses and the Prince’s Rose Garden at King’s Park is a good place to experience the flower displays.
3. The Olievenhuis Art Museum is the holder in trust of several important South African works of art. The museum hosts various workshops and exhibitions throughout the years.
4. Visit the Franklin Game Reserve on Naval Hill to enjoy the fine views of the city and the many animals in the reserve. Also here is an old 1927 dated observatory, constructed by the University of Michigan and now used as a theatre venue.
5. The small but interesting Bloemfontein Zoo holds over 100 species of mammal and offers young children the opportunity to become Junior Rangers, an excellent leadership programme. Animals include hippo, leopard, cheetah and various exotics.
6. Bloemfontein is rugby country where a large section of the city’s residents revere the sport. Tour the Free State Stadium to gain an understanding of rugby.
Dan Pienaar is 13km from the Bram Fischer (Bloemfontein) International Airport. There are several car rental companies both at the airport and in Bloemfontein city centre, otherwise order your rental online. Metered taxi operators are available throughout the city and Uber plans to operate here in the near future. Main bus liners servicing the Johannesburg-Cape Town and Johannesburg-Port Elizabeth routes stop off in Bloemfontein.
Did you know?
The acoustic echo generated around the circular wall at the National Women’s War Memorial has led to it being called the whispering wall. Whether this was by design or accident is unclear.
In the 1940s, the Bloemfontein Zoo bred a number of ligers, a crossed tiger and lion, at the time the only breeding site worldwide. The last liger died here in 1995.