Price range, per nightmin R max R
Northcliff is a prosperous, family orientated suburb in the town of Hermanus on the Western Cape Province coastline.
The suburb overlooks Walker Bay, a Whale Sanctuary Marine Protected Area where only authorised boat operators may enter the bay during the peak whale season between July and November.
Year round temperatures are mild and suburbs adjoining Northcliff have fabulous Blue Flag swimming and surfing beaches.
Northcliff is ideally located to enjoy all that the popular seaside town of Hermanus has to offer.
Top 8 reasons to visit Northcliff
1. It’s a well-known fact that Hermanus is probably the best site for land based whale watching. The ideal time to visit is between July and November when Southern Right Whales and their calves frequent Walker Bay. Some years have seen up to 70 whales in the bay.
2. For adventure seekers, shark cage diving operators can collect you from Northcliff and transport you to Gansbaai to view great white sharks cruising the channel known as Shark Alley, between Dyer Island and Geyser Rock.
3. The established Walker Bay wine route traverses the Fernkloof Mountains to reach the picturesque Hemel en Aarde (Heaven and Earth) valley where vines produce pinot noir and chardonnay varietals .These thrive under cool sea breeze conditions. Many of the estates have fine dining restaurants on the premises.
4. Fernkloof Nature Reserve has one of the greatest concentration of fynbos plant types. Established paths encourage hiking and walking in the reserve.
5. Hermanus has several surfing spots, Onrus beach is the most popular. For newbies, try the Kammabaai beach on the eastern side of the bay.
6. Angling in Hermanus is a popular pastime with the locals. The feisty yellowtail is favoured. Bring along a lobster trap to collect your quota off the new harbour jetty. Note: Cape rock lobster may only be caught during open season – with a permit – and the size and quantity is limited.
7. Dine out on the freshest seafood at one of the many contemporary restaurants along this section of the coast.
8. Take a walk up the 75m high Stone Hill (also known as Hoy’s Koppie) east of Northcliff, standing somewhat out of place in the town centre. Enjoy the sweeping views of Walker Bay and the Fernkloof Mountains to the north. An ancient cave once inhabited by beachcombers can be explored.
Northcliff is 110km away from Cape Town International Airport. Two car rental agencies are based in Hermanus to hire a vehicle, otherwise book a rental online. Use the Tuk Tuk Transporter service for location hopping in Hermanus. John’s Hermanus Taxis offer shuttle services between Hermanus, the Cape Town airport and Cape Town & Stellenbosch.
Did you know?
The war memorial above the old harbour has two cannons that face inland, an indication of a non-threatening nation at peace. The original cannons were German models captured in Namibia during WWII, however, they wore badly and had to be replaced with the current South African cannons on display.
Directly below the old Windsor Hotel is a boardwalk that crosses a perennial stream. It’s this stream that attracted the town founder, Hermanus Pieters, to the area for his sheep to graze alongside the stream’s crystal clear water.