Price range, per nightmin R max R
Scottsville is a large suburb situated to the south-east of Pietermaritzburg city centre in the KwaZulu-Natal Province of South Africa. This neat residential suburb has a high concentration of the country’s top schools and the University of KwaZulu-Natal Pietermaritzburg campus is located here. The suburb is bounded by rivers and a canal running through the suburb with large sections of green space available to residents.
Scottsville buzzes with student activity which has shopping centres and strip malls, sports parks, a horseracing track and churches of all denominations, some housed in old Victorian-style buildings. The suburb is only a few minutes’ walk to Pietermaritzburg city centre.
Top 8 reasons to visit Scottsville
1. Horse riding is a popular pastime in Pietermaritzburg and there are a number of riding schools in and around the city. The Canterbury Equestrian Centre borders a nature reserve nearby and further afield is the Ashburton Pony Club.
2. Named after the long range rifle, the Bisley Valley Nature Reserve has designated walking trails along the river and to the dams. Expect to encounter giraffe, antelope and small mammals. Remnants of the old shooting range are still visible. The reserve is popular with birders and best of all, there is no entrance fee!
3. The Hexagon Theatre at the university hosts locally-produced entertainment spanning many art forms, from comedic plays to song and dance extravaganzas.
4. For a pleasant shopping experience, pop in to The Mall @ Scottsville. There are only just over 40 stores, however they are located in a spacious 14000m² centre with plenty of parking space.
5. Leave yourself enough time to titivate and remember to bring the binoculars on a visit to Scottsville racecourse for a fun day of horse racing. Race meetings are held most Wednesdays and Saturdays at this venue.
6. Strike it rich at the tables and slots at Golden Horse Casino or visit to eat at one of four restaurants on the premises. The complex has entertainment for children of all ages; an educare centre with child minders for the younger ones, a science and discovery centre and video games for simple, mindless fun.
7. A walk through the Pietermaritzburg city centre, rich in historic character, is a rewarding experience. The thriving city is somewhat out of place in its rural-like settings, however, it has loads of attractions and finding the best eateries and coffee shops is easy – look out for the student crowds!
8. Watch a game of premier league soccer at the Harry Gwala Stadium, Maritzburg United’s home ground. The nearby Woodburn Rugby Stadium hosts rugby matches from school level to major games, including those from the women’s league. A much anticipated annual match is the Voortrekker High School XV versus the Maritzburg College XV, billed the Boer War.
King Shaka International Airport is 100km away from Scottsville. The smaller national airport, Oribi Airport in Pietermaritzburg, is located 4km from Scottsville. To hire a vehicle, visit car rental agencies at the airports or in Pietermaritzburg otherwise simply order one online. Metered taxis and shuttle service companies operate between the airports and Scottsville.
Did you know?
University of KZN alumnus Ron Rutland rode his bicycle an incredible 43000km through every African country and parts of Europe to reach London after 840 days. His ride, called Lettie’s Ride, was in aid of a cancer victim. He lost 25kg over the duration of the trip.
Epworth School are the undisputed South African school champions of canoeing and squash, having won 7 consecutive titles and 19 age-category titles respectively. The school is located on a large 15ha property in Scottsville.