Price range, per nightmin R max R
The view & whale watching.
Thanks to the original farm owner, surveyor Thure Lilliecrona carefully laid out the borough of Uvongo in garden village style, making it one of the most picturesque along this section of the KwaZulu-Natal Province south coast.
Uvongo, a distorted Zulu word indirectly translated as the place of rushing water, has a magnificent sloping beach situated in a cove overlooked by a 23m waterfall where the contents of the iVungu River spills over into a 27m deep pool that meets the lagoon during high tide.
The area is thick with evergreen coastal vegetation and the climate is mostly warm, even during the winter months. Visitors are able to swim in the warm Indian Ocean practically throughout the year.
Uvongo Beach is popular with families, secure in the knowledge that the shallow lagoon provides safe swimming for their children and the beach offers fun in the sun for adults, expected of a desirable seaside vacation.
Top 6 reasons to visit Uvongo
1. Spend chill time on the Uvongo beach, swimming and soaking up the sun. For those interested in water sports, neighbouring St Michaels-on-sea has good surfing waves and the lagoon is an excellent spot for windsurfing.
2. Hike the footpath mapped out alongside the waterfall to reach the 28ha iVungu River Nature Reserve. Trails lead through riverine forest up against the river banks with plentiful birdlife in the canopy and on the river. Be on the lookout for the pretty purple-banded sunbird.
3. The Uvongo pier is a popular fishing spot for shad, bream, blacktail and other sea fish. There are a number of angling stores nearby to hire fishing gear, ask your host for details.
4. Feeling a bit frazzled after too much sun? Take yourself off to the Vizage Spa to treat your body to some personal care at the hands of professionals.
5. Peruse the Uvongo Flea Market... Show more