Price range, per nightmin R max R
Vaal Oewer lies along the shores of the Vaal River, a tributary of the larger Orange River that separates South Africa from its northern neighbours. Vaal Oewer is a riverside town that falls under the Emfuleni municipality which includes Vanderbijlpark and Vereeniging, the two main towns in this southern part of the Gauteng Province.
The word Vaal Oewer is Afrikaans for Vaal banks, more specifically – along the banks of the Vaal River. The word Vaal means murky and aptly describes the dark waters of this river.
Temperatures around Vaal Oewer are mild with warm summer days and cold, dry winters. Fisherman visit the area in winter when the river water is much clearer.
Vaal Oewer is a tranquil spot, rich in birdlife offering stunning sunsets over the river. For the jaded traveller, a layover here is sure to revitalise the spirit.
Top 6 reasons to visit Vaal Oewer
1. Hop on the river ferry to enjoy a booze cruise along the river. Watch the birds prepare to roost while the sun goes down and if fortunate, see a water monitor lounging on the river banks.
2. At Vaal Oewer you are on the river front, hire a fishing rod and drop a line from the grassed banks where carp and yellowfish are abundant.
3. The Vaal River Meander Wine Route happens every winter when around 12 different venues along the river are chosen to showcase the more than 200 wines produced in this area. Many of the wines are not available commercially and the best way to travel the route is by houseboat.
4. The occasional Vaal Oewer Country Market is a fun family event offering handmade crafts, fresh produce and live music. Water activities include kayak races and a fishing competition.
5. The Emerald Resort and Casino is a short distance away. The casino has 540 slot machines and... Show more