Get away from it all! Enjoy an eco-friendly farm experience at the foot of the Swartberg Mountain Pass; 45km outside of Oudtshoorn. Hike to the beautiful waterfall and natural rock pool; drink fresh water straight from it. Delight in a memorable horse ride on a scenic trail. Enjoy a hike to and swimming in our mountain swimming pool with views of nature all around you. Solar electricity, organic gardening, free range livestock, chicken, rabbits. Be refreshed, re-energized and regenerated!
Horse riding can be arranged with a professional horse rider close-by at an additional cost.
Other things to note:
* We are 45km outside of Oudtshoorn where the closest shops are located.
* Travel on 1.2 km gravel road before reaching the main gate. The road is in a relative good condition.
* Solar electricity only and therefore no TV (Only DVD facilities) and no microwave.
* Hair dryer can be used with generator power only.
* As the mountain swimming pool is in the mountains, it is a 25 minute hiking trail to get to it. We can take guests to the pool in our farm 2x4 vehicle on request, free of charge. We have a swimming pool close to the units as well.
* The units are very clean and upmarket however be aware that the outside is raw nature.
* There are no shops close-by but you can enjoy food at some Restaurants in the area.Please note that the units are not shared with other people.
In Room Facilities:
The accommodation at Swartberg Backpackers is equipped with a kitchen with an oven, refrigerator and barbecue facilities. Some units have a seating area where you can relax. The rooms are fitted with a private bathroom equipped with a shower. Free Wi-Fi is featured in some rooms and one unit also has table tennis.
Featuring free WiFi and a barbecue, Swartberg Backpackers offers pet-friendly accommodation in Matjiesrivier, 26 km from Oudtshoorn.
Swartberg Backpackers makes use of solar electricity, gas and wood fires instead of electricity. The solar electricity provides enough power to charge a laptop, cellular phone, room lights and a portable 12V fridge. Solar geysers provide warm water and there is a gas water heater for overcast or rainy days.
A range of activities are offered on site or in the surrounding area, such as a guided hiking trail to the waterfall and/or rock pool. Swimming and canoeing can be enjoyed at the dam. Nearby is Gamkaskloof, or 'The Hell', an exciting 2-hour 4x4 drive for adventurers and there is plenty of fauna and flora to experience in the surrounds.