Price range, per nightmin R max R
Constantia, Noordhoek, Green Point, Cape Town City Centre / CBD, Century City, Table View, Llandudno, Cape Town, Durbanville, Bloubergstrand, Hout Bay, Milnerton, Camps Bay, De Waterkant, Rondebosch, Bellville, V&A Waterfront, Simon's Town, Fish Hoek, Sea Point
When the town planners were plotting out the area, they mistakenly named the suburb, which is in a valley, Panorama. The adjoining suburb on a hillside was named Plattekloof, meaning flat ridge. Whilst Panorama does not quite have the sweeping views of Cape Town and Table Mountain like Plattekloof, it is a neat, tree-lined suburb with large properties and established gardens. The suburb has a few strip malls and one of Cape Town’s largest private hospitals within its boundaries. Several schools are nearby.
Panorama is located close to most attractions and business centres. If you head west for 9kms you reach the buzzing Century City business district and Canal Walk super mall, 14kms south is the airport and Grandwest Casino. The scenic Durbanville wine route is a 14kms drive north-east and the beaches of Blouberg are a 14kms journey north-west of the suburb.
Top 5 reasons to visit Panorama
1. Visitors seeking breathing space but wanting to remain close to the hustle and bustle of city life would do well to choose tranquil Panorama as their holiday base.
2. The charming Durbanville wine route travels through the rolling Durbanville hills reaching 12 interesting wine estates. The start of the route at De Grendel Wine Estate is roughly 3km from Panorama.
3. The suburb is almost at the foot of Tygerberg (leopard mountain) where you could attempt the several hiking routes through the reserve. Look out for the Bontebok, a buck species once under severe threat of extinction. The reserve has a wheelchair friendly route and majestic views of Cape Town, Table Mountain and the bay.
4. Golf lovers are spoilt for choice, there are 3 exceptional golf courses and a popular driving range within easy reach of Panorama.
5. Fashionistas are a stone’s throw away from two of Cape Town’s largest malls, Canal Walk and Tygervalley Shopping Centre. The elegant Willowbridge centre has an assortment of cutting edge boutique stores and popular eateries.
Panorama is 14kms from Cape Town International Airport. Nearby Bellville has many car rental agencies, however, car rental bookings can be made online. If you have the Uber app, order a taxi via your mobile phone. A number of local tour operators offer shuttle services between Panorama, Cape Town and the airport.
Did you know?
Dr. Hellmuth Weich of the Panorama Mediclinic – along with 2 visiting doctors from Switzerland – made history in 2013 by performing the world’s first non-surgical closure of a leaking heart valve. The leak was closed by inserting a tube into the patient’s groin, fed to the heart and a non-standard tool used to close the leak. What made this procedure even more remarkable was that the patient has dextrocardia, the heart lies on the opposite side of the body!
The South African Police Service’s R600million forensic laboratory is located in the adjoining Plattekloof suburb.