York House is situated 1 km from the town of Hillcrest, which lies approximately 700 meters above sea level offering a more temperate climate, away from the high summer humidity of the Durban coastline.
On the famous Comrades Marathon Route.
* Close to excellent bird watching.
* Close to Tala Game Park.
* Close to Valley of 1000 Hills Tourist Route.
* Close to restaurants, pubs and shops.
* Dinner upon request
* Swimming Pool with thatch Gazebo
* Braai facility
* Laundry Service available
* Secure Parking
* Internet and fax with Wi-Fi hotspot
Easy access to schools, shopping centres, Hammersdale & Pinetown Industrial areas via M13 & N3 Highways
In Room Facilities:
Comfortably furnished, TV in each room, fridge, tea/coffee tray and Wi-Fi.
* Pubs & Restaurants - We are situated 1km from the centre of Hillcrest Town, where a wide selection of restaurants and pubs are located. A choice from Portuguese, Italian, Keg & Trout, Olive & Oil, Station Masters Arms, and many more to choose from.
* Real Ale Breweries. For those who enjoy the fuller flavour of traditionally brewed beer. There are 3 Real Ale Breweries in the area. Robson’s Brewery in Shongweni, The Standeavan Brewery in Alverstone, Assagay, & The Porcupine Brewery in Botha’s Hill. All within 15 minutes drive from York House.
* Heritage Supper Theatre – The Heritage Supper Theatre for live music and entertaining shows. Booking essential.
* Valley of 100 Hills Tourist Route, including PheZulu Cultural Village and crocodile farm. The Saturday morning Shongweni Market is the largest market in Durban. You can find Organic Meats and Vegetables, Breads, Cheese, Plants, Flowers, Seedlings, Books, Clothing, Furniture, Arts & Crafts. Also a variety of breakfasts from Mediterranean Falafal to English Bacon. & Egg.
* Excellent Birdwatching and Walking Trails
Kranzkloof Nature Reserve was proclaimed in 1950 and covers an area of approximately 584 hectares.
Key Species – Knysna Turaco, African Emerald Cuckoo, Narina Trogon, GreenTwinspot and African Crowned Eagle.
* KKNR is one of the best spots in KwaZulu Natal for forest birdwatching. The beautiful Narina Trogon can be heard hooting from September and is often seen. Grey Cuckooshrike, Scaly-throated Honeyguide, Olive Woodpecker, Paradise, Blue-mantled & Dusky Flycatcher, Longtailed Wagtail are fairly common as are Cape and Chinspot Batis.
Crowned, Martial & Fish Eagle are regularly seen flying above the Gorge.
Altitudinal winter migrants include Chorister Robin-Chat, Yellow-throated Woodland-Warbler & White-starred Robin.
Zebra, Tree Dassie, Bushpig and Clawless Otters are resident.
* Shongweni Reserve is a 10 minute drive away. The dam is is surrounded by valley bushveld and riverine forest that provides interesting birding boasting a list of more than 250 species. The reserve is approximately 1700 ha in size.
Key Species - African Crowned Eagle, Narina Trogon, Stripped Pipit, Southern Tchagra.