Price range, per nightmin R max R
Chaka’s Rock (Shaka’s Rock) consists of a small strip of prime residential properties situated along the coastline north of Durban in KwaZulu-Natal Province, South Africa. The safe swimming beach has a large tidal pool and flanked by rocky promontories at either end.
The area forms part of the Dolphin Coast, known for the vast numbers of dolphins that frequent this section of the coastline. With a subtropical climate, foliage surrounding Chaka’s Rock remains green and swimming is possible practically throughout the year.
Chaka’s Rock is considered an ideal family vacation spot and with a glorious sandy beach, rock pools for children to explore, sea life in the calm tidal pool, ski-boat launch site and waves gentle enough to learn how to surf.
Top 6 reasons to visit Shaka’s Rock
1. Spend a day swimming and lounging on the beach at Chaka’s Rock. The difficulty in locating the entrance means that the beach is rarely crowded. Try snorkelling in the historic tidal pool or hire a fishing rod for beach fishing. The small sit-down café at the entrance to the beach provides some relief from the heat and a place to purchase refreshments.
2. Travel the King Shaka heritage route to learn more of Shaka, a ruler of the Zulu nation in the early 1800's, regarded as a military genius by the Brits and other foes. The route includes visits to old forts and additional historic sites.
3. Enjoy a stimulating round of golf at Simbithi Country Club located at the nearby 430ha Simbithi Eco Estate. The 60-par course is referred to as an executive golf course with a high number of par 3 holes. The clubhouse has an excellent restaurant and wine gallery.
4. The Ballito Lifestyle Centre is a short drive from Chaka’s Rock to stock up on provisions and for retail therapy. The centre has 84 stores, plentiful parking and is security patrolled.
5. Experienced surfers will relish the left and right breaks at Salt Rock Beach. Best surfing waves are in the early morning.
6. Sibaya Casino has over 1000 slot machines and 30+ gaming tables to try your luck. The resort offers regular entertainment at the iZulu Theatre and a video arcade for young children. Various restaurants, bars and a day spa on the premises.
The nearest airport is King Shaka International Airport, 24kms from Chaka’s Rock. Three car rental agencies are located at Ballito. There are many car rental agencies in Durban city centre and at King Shaka airport, or you can order a rental online. Rikki Cabs operates out of King Shaka airport, otherwise if you have the Uber app, order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
In the 1920s, a sharp developer purchased this section of uninhabited land, subdivided it into plots and suggested to potential buyers that the rocks jutting out from the coastline was where the feared Zulu king Shaka required his warriors to prove their courage by leaping into the sea. The rock is called High Rock and the legend helped to rapidly sell out the plots.
The correct name for Chaka’s Rock is Shaka’s Rock.
The crystal clear tidal pool at Chaka’s Rock is part of a marine protected area and may not be fished. Expect to see various fish species and coral dwellers. The occasional scorpion fish is seen here.