Price range, per nightmin R max R
Richmond, Nottingham Road, Hillcrest, Howick, Botha's Hill, Kloof, Hilton, Scottsville, Mjejane Private Nature Reserve, Balgowan, Pietermaritzburg, Cato Ridge, Assagay, Central Kruger Park Region, Thornybush Nature Reserve
What makes the Midlands region stand out is the beautiful verdant scenery and the sense of peace you have when all around you is nothing but tranquil beauty.
The Midlands area is located in the centre of KwaZulu-Natal Province, north of the capital Pietermaritzburg and stretching west to the Drakensberg Mountains, and eastward to Karkloof. The landscape is blessed with shimmering streams, indigenous forests, waterfalls, green pastures and undulating hills. Amongst this epitome of natural beauty are Zulu villages, farms and welcoming towns.
The Midlands is best known for the Midlands Meander, a series of pioneering arts and craft routes that span several towns and veer off the beaten track.
It’s the perfect retreat for a relaxing holiday, however, golden beaches and mountain climbing activities are both no more than an hour’s drive away.
Top 8 reasons to visit Midlands
1. You can get a map and take a few days to travel the 5 routes on the Midlands Meander. Each route offers something unique and the entertainment options are endless; nature parks, unusual craft displays, quirky road stalls, craft brewers, basket weavers and restaurants to name a few.
2. Adventure lovers will enjoy the 2-hour Karkloof Canopy Tour, a sequence of zip lines ranging between 40m and 180m and spanning an indigenous forest.
3. Visit the 95m Howick Falls, an idyllic picnic site. The place is shrouded in mystique and myth. According to local legend, a serpent inhabits the pool below the falls.
4. The Zulu-Mpophomeni Tourism Experience is a fun and educational tour of a township and Zulu kraal, with customary beehive huts. The tour includes a traditional Zulu meal and sorghum beer served in a clay pot, Zulu dancing and praise singing.
5. You could take a leisurely drive to the large city of Durban to enjoy the golden beaches along this stretch of the coast.
6. Lovers of architecture will appreciate the magnificent colonial... Show more
Hotels offer guests a reliable, and comfortable place to stay while on holiday. All the basic amenities and facilities are provided, making your stay there simple and hassle-free. While hotels are the more expensive option, guests are sure to find one in the location they wish to visit and explore, making them an ideal option for those wanting basic accommodation and basecamp for their holiday. Guests wanting a little more than the basics, they should consider staying at themed or or 5 starred hotel. Choose from the wide variety of hotels across South Africa on AccommoDirect.