Price range, per nightmin R max R
Champagne castle, Westville, Durban North, Midlands, Morningside, Berea, Umdloti Beach, Hillcrest, Durban Central, Kloof, Cathedral Peak, Durban, Bluff, La Lucia, Glenwood, Oslo Beach, Durban Beachfront, Glen Ashley, Kosi Bay, Lake Jozini
Midmar in the Natal Midlands is where frazzled Durban residents escape on weekends to unwind and enjoy the tranquillity surrounding the dam and nature reserve. Midmar Public Resort Nature Reserve is a massive 2800ha park incorporating an 800ha game reserve, the Midmar Nature Reserve, and a 1700ha dam, the Midmar Dam. Aside from game viewing and water sports, the resort has various other recreational activities including hiking, cycling routes, tennis, squash and fishing. Anglers require permits to fish the Umgeni River that feeds into the dam.
The lovely green hills of the Midlands provide a majestic backdrop to the Midmar Reserve. This beauty encompassing Midmar has attracted artists and their products inspired by the region are on show along the Midlands Meander, a series of arts & crafts routes in which Midmar is included on Route 1.
Top 6 reasons to visit Midmar
1. Hire a yacht or catamaran to sail around the vast Midmar Dam. The area is rich in birdlife and the dam wall is an impressive sight during times of overflow.
2. Be guided along one of the gaming trails in the Midmar Nature Reserve to view the many buck species and small mammals resident in the park.
3. Just outside the Midmar Public Resort Nature Reserve is the Midmar Historical Village, a model village created to appear as a 19th century village. The displays include a Zulu settlement complete with beehive huts, a blacksmith shop and a library built using bricks recovered from an old ghost town in the Greytown area.
4. A visit to the Howick waterfall is worthwhile. The water drops 94m and is best viewed from a platform overlooking the falls or at the base, reached by following a 2 hour circular trail.
5. Travel Route 3 on the Midlands Meander to reach Piggly Wiggly, situated on a working wine estate, for the unusual... Show more