Price range, per nightmin R max R
Port Elizabeth CBD, Mill Park, Port Elizabeth, Humewood, Blue Horizon Bay, Richmond Hill, Chelsea, Central Hill, Beachview, Linkside, Bluewater Bay, Mount Croix, Parsons Hill, St Georges Park, Newton Park, Greenacres, Walmer, Lovemore Park, Colleen Glen, Glendinningvale
The exclusive coastal suburb of Summerstrand is where you will find Port Elizabeth’s most popular attractions along Marine Drive and where fashionable apartments command excellent views of the beach and sparkling Indian Ocean. The busy boardwalk is filled with walkers and joggers enjoying the fresh salty air in this city located on the south eastern shores of South Africa.
Port Elizabeth’s sub-tropical climate is such that temperatures remain pleasant throughout the year, an ideal beach holiday, and the Summerstrand suburb is the destination of choice; it’s within close proximity of the airport, the inner city and across from Port Elizabeth’s renowned beaches.
Top 8 reasons to visit Summerstrand
1. Enjoy the magnificent swimming beaches along this stretch of the coastline. Port Elizabeth has 3 Blue Flag appointed beaches of which neighbouring Hobie Beach is the closest. King’s Beach is an excellent place to learn how to surf, whereas Lookout point has a great reef break for the more experienced surfer.
2. The 5-star Boardwalk Hotel and Casino in Summerstrand offers 24/7 entertainment for the family, including gaming facilities, a health spa, regular live international acts, restaurants, movies and children’s rides.
3. Hike the 9km dune trail at Cape Recife Nature Reserve, a 360ha piece of unspoilt coast populated by various marine bird species and a safe haven for the endangered African penguin. The reserve has a lighthouse to warn ships of the dangerous Thunderbolt Reef lurking offshore.
4. Enjoy a round of golf at the Humewood Golf Club 18-hole links course. The course is rated one of South Africa’s best courses with a splendid club house.
5. Experience some of Port Elizabeth’s pristine countryside at the van Staden’s Wild Flower Reserve. The reserve borders a gorge which is traversed by the impressive van Staden’s River Bridge and the area is enjoyed by picnickers, mountain bikers, birders and hikers.
6. Spend a day in the Addo Elephant National Park to appreciate this gigantic pachyderm and the rare flightless dung beetle so dependent on it. Signs in the park alert drivers to the presence of the beetle, often seen rolling dung along the roads. The park hosts many other mammals, birds and reptiles.
7. The popular Bayworld attracts streams of visitors to the oceanarium’s dolphin and seal shows. Performances are held twice daily. The onsite snake park contains all the indigenous snake species and a crocodile enclosure.
8. Visit the VW AutoPavilion which showcases the Volkswagen brand’s past, current and future vehicle models.
The Port Elizabeth International Airport is located 5km from Summerstrand. Several car rental agencies are based in Port Elizabeth and at the airport to hire a vehicle, or you could order a rental online. There are many metered taxi companies in Port Elizabeth and Uber has recently begun operating in the city. The city-managed bus service runs regularly throughout the city and outlying suburbs.
Did you know?
Port Elizabeth’s Nelson Mandela Bay Train Race began as a crazy stunt by university students to run against a train travelling from Grahamstown to PE. Today, relay teams race against an electric train from PE to Uitenhage, a 38km distance.
The imposing Horse Memorial in the city commemorates the death of over 340000 horses killed during the South African War between 1899 and 1902. The erection of a memorial was at the prompting of the public.
Holiday Homes offer the ultimate in private accommodation. A private home converted for holiday use, you can stay under your own rules and with no outside interference. With all basic amenities they often include wifi, cleaning services and facilities to Dstv. Holiday Homes are fairly common and often affordable means of accommodation. Another great option to consider if you have a family to take care of. Being converted from private homes, you can find them in all shapes and sizes to suit your needs.