Price range, per nightmin R max R
Knysna's multi award winning lodge offers luxurious individually decorated log chalets and family suites with every c...
enter dates to view priceInstant
Situated on top of the Welbedacht Cliff Tops 3km from Knysna Town, the Lodge overlooks the Knysna Lagoon and the Oute...
Set in large, landscaped gardens with spectacular views across the lagoon to the famous Knysna Heads lies the modern,...
A beautiful guest house with both self-catering and B+B accomodation set in award winning gardens and with spectacula...
enter dates to view priceInstant
Fish Eagle Lodge offers affordable Knysna accommodation, beautifully positioned with views of the Knysna lagoon and m...
Badger's Lodge is a guest house in Knysna in the heart of the Garden Route in South Africa and borders an indigenous ...
The peaceful, laidback area of Welbedacht in Knysna lies along the western end of the Knysna estuary in this part of South Africa known as the Garden Route. Much of the flora in the area has remained untouched, creating a natural barrier between the large homes, however, Welbedacht is located on a rise, giving the home owners excellent views of the calm waters below.
The word Welbedacht is Dutch for well-conceived, its origin unknown.
Knysna attracts international and local visitors throughout the year, drawn to the scenic beauty of the forests, lakes and estuaries surrounding this pretty town. With a temperate climate, many attractions and the town’s residents groomed to serve the tourist trade, expect a recommended stayover of [at least] 3 days at Welbedacht to be memorable.
Top 6 reasons to visit Welbedacht
1. Hire a canoe to enjoy the Knysna River and lagoon below Welbedacht. Be on the lookout for the fish eagle on the hunt before dusk.
2. Travel to Victoria Bay to surf some excellent waves at this tiny bay. Remember to stop off at Dolphin’s Point for arresting views of the Indian Ocean, the Touws River mouth and the old 1903-built railway bridge crossing the Kaaimans River mouth far below.
3. Pack a picnic basket and head to Jubilee Creek to sit under the large trees in a lovely designated area alongside the clear stream. A few kilometres further along the gravel road is the Millwood ruins, a once-thriving gold mining town.
4. Join a tour of the Knysna Oyster Company processing plant. The company has been harvesting mussels in the Knysna estuary since 1949 and the tour includes a tasting of cultivated and wild oysters, accompanied with a glass of wine. Visitors are taught how to expertly open oysters.
5. Drive the Phantom Pass route to the start of the Rheenendal Ramble and the many stop-offs at crafters, tea gardens, art galleries and farm stalls. The route has some unusual offerings including psychic readings and a swap shop.
6. Fly over the Map of Africa viewpoint via a tandem paraglide to appreciate the natural flow of the Silver and Kaaimans Rivers that formed the shape of Africa.
Welbedacht is 75km away from George Airport. A number of car rental agencies are located in Knysna and at the George airport to hire a vehicle, or you could order a rental online. Several metered taxi companies operate in Knysna. Shuttle service operators will transport visitors between George Airport and Welbedacht.
Did you know?
The Cape Hairy Bat is a creature of the night commonly seen in Knysna. They aren’t the best looking of creatures (in fact, they’re downright creepy) but they offer an invaluable service to us, consuming up to 3000 mosquitoes every evening! The bat is completely harmless and myths surrounding these animals are mostly untrue.
Dalene Mathee was a renowned local author of 14 books of which 4 had plots set in the Knysna forest. The books were translated into 11 languages and achieved her international acclaim.