Price range, per nightmin R max R
The peaceful, laidback area of Welbedacht in Knysna lies along the western end of the Knysna estuary in this part of South Africa known as the Garden Route. Much of the flora in the area has remained untouched, creating a natural barrier between the large homes, however, Welbedacht is located on a rise, giving the home owners excellent views of the calm waters below.
The word Welbedacht is Dutch for well-conceived, its origin unknown.
Knysna attracts international and local visitors throughout the year, drawn to the scenic beauty of the forests, lakes and estuaries surrounding this pretty town. With a temperate climate, many attractions and the town’s residents groomed to serve the tourist trade, expect a recommended stayover of [at least] 3 days at Welbedacht to be memorable.
Top 6 reasons to visit Welbedacht
1. Hire a canoe to enjoy the Knysna River and lagoon below Welbedacht. Be on the lookout for the fish eagle on the hunt before dusk.
2. Travel to Victoria Bay to surf some excellent waves at this tiny bay. Remember to stop off at Dolphin’s Point for arresting views of the Indian Ocean, the Touws River mouth and the old 1903-built railway bridge crossing the Kaaimans River mouth far below.
3. Pack a picnic basket and head to Jubilee Creek to sit under the large trees in a lovely designated area alongside the clear stream. A few kilometres further along the gravel road is the Millwood ruins, a once-thriving gold mining town.
4. Join a tour of the Knysna Oyster Company processing plant. The company has been harvesting mussels in the Knysna estuary since 1949 and the tour includes a tasting of cultivated and wild oysters, accompanied with a glass of wine. Visitors are taught how to expertly open oysters.
5. Drive the Phantom Pass route to the start of the Rheenendal Ramble and the many... Show more