Whale Huys and Guppy Huys are sister properties located next to each other on the coastline of Walker Bay. Both are direct oceanfront properties with breathtaking views of the ocean and the whales (during the whale season; Jun-Nov). Each properties has a spacious outdoor areas including a deck with built-in braai and cozy indoor fireplace for cooler evenings. Whale Huys is the bigger, more upmarket sister with 4 ensuite bedrooms, a rim-flow salt water pool, a private gym and large gourmet kitchen. Guppy Huys is the smaller cozy little sister with a covered stoep and a boma for quiet escapes in nature. The mid-century modern furnishings and modern kitchen (renovated April 2020) make for a comfy stay. Both properties utilise solar energy, ensuring that load shedding does not affect our guests’ stay and experience.
In Room Facilities:
Whale Huys combines the warmth and character of traditional thatched roof architecture with the luxury of a modern holiday villa including conveniences like DSTV Premium in the living room, wireless internet throughout and a laptop you can use to check your mail or surf the web. Each of the four en-suite bedrooms have a breathtaking ocean view and its own balcony. Bed sizes by room; 1) extra-long king, 2) 3) queen, and 4) extra-long twin beds that can also be made up as a king.
De Kelders is a quiet and safe community on the Whale Coast. It is considered one of the best places in the world for land-based whale watching (Jun-Nov). The Overberg region has amazing natural beauty with an enormous variety of fynbos species and a multitude of birds and other wildlife. There are many parks and trails nearby. Walker Bay Conservancy is in walking distance and many other parks can be reached with a short drive. The marine big 5 can all be seen within 15 minutes from the Villa. Stanford, a quaint town known for its small-scale gastronomy is just 10 minutes by car, and there is easy access to the superb wineries of the Hemel en Aarde valley, Stanford Valley and Cape Agulhus.
The open gourmet kitchen with cooking island is equipped with all modern appliances. There is an additional kitchen on the ground floor near the infinity pool and adjacent to the outdoor braai area. There are three separate sitting areas, and the main area features an extra large slow-combustion fireplace for chilly evenings and a large flat-screen TV with DSTV Premium. Just a few steps down from the pool area you have direct access to the ocean-side fynbos walking trail that connects to the Walker Bay Nature Conservancy, Here you can walk for hours on end along unspoiled coastline inhabited by seals and other marine mammals.
* Whale Watching (directly from all rooms in the house)
* Shark Cage Diving (10 min. by car)
* The fishing town of Gansbaai is just 5 minutes away with supermarkets, banks, a gym, and several cafes and restaurants.
* Stanford, renowned for its restaurants, is 10 minutes by car. * For a larger variety of shops Hermanus is just 25 minutes away on the other side of the bay.
* The area is rich in culture and things to do. Elim, a world heritage village, is 30 minutes away.
* Active adventures abound, including wilderness and beachside horseback riding (5 minutes away).
* South Africa’s shark cage diving capital, Kleinbaai, is just 10 minutes away. (In fact, you can see all of the ‘Marine Big 5’ within a 15 minute radius of the villa.)
* A number of wine estates in the area offer some of the best wines of South Africa including the Hemel en Aarde valley, the Stanford valley and the Cape Agulhas wine ward. Wine tasting can be done six days, and in some places 7 days a week.
* A local bakery/convenience store is just three blocks away for fresh baked rolls, bread, vetkoek and your basic necessities.