Price range, per nightmin R max R
Durban Central, Berea, Champagne castle, Cathedral Peak, Chaka's Rock, Oslo Beach, Bluff, Umdloti Beach, Hillcrest, Westville, Glen Ashley, Durban, Kloof, Glenwood, Lake Jozini, Kosi Bay, La Lucia, Midlands, Durban North, Durban Beachfront
I enjoyed Florida Road.
The beach and Gateway Mall.
Morningside is one of Durban’s most fashionable suburbs with an established restaurant scene and where sugar barons left a legacy of stately Victorian homes. The suburb is located high on a hill overlooking the Indian Ocean coastline and with views of the Umgeni River to the north, while neighbouring Windermere suburb has a bustling nightlife to appreciate. Durban’s beaches are a cycle ride away, as is the Durban Country Club and Moses Mabhida mixed-use stadium.
When visiting Durban, South Africa’s head of state resides in the century-old palatial Morningside estate, Dr John Dube House (formerly Kings House).
With majestic views, sprawling parks and a warm subtropical climate, Morningside attracts holiday makers pursuing an above average vacation experience.
Top 8 reasons to visit Morningside
1. The Burman Bush Nature Reserve is located within the suburb, a 55ha strip of pristine coastal forest where the shy blue duiker can be viewed and vast birdlife nest in the trees. The 3 walking trails range from 500m to 2km in length.
2. Take a stroll along the Golden Mile and stop at one of Durban’s many beaches to cool off in the warm Indian Ocean. Addington Beach is enjoyed for its calm waters while South Beach is popular with both swimmers and surfers.
3. Originally an ostrich farm, Morningside’s Mitchell Park has a zoo, walk-through aviary, playground and a tea garden under shady trees to keep all members of the family entertained. Splashes of colour from flowering plants makes this park one of the city’s most attractive.
4. Florida Road in neighbouring Windermere is bursting with hip sidewalk cafés, foodie hotspots and wine bars. The area sees its share of celebrities and dignitaries, Bill Clinton was once spotted in a restaurant…
5. Visit The Firm to tighten up and tone those muscles. The centre uses custom equipment to assist in firming the body in controlled areas and offers proven slimming programmes to get ready for summer days on the beach.
6. Fashion and horseracing go hand-in-hand at the Greyville Racecourse. In winter, the Durban July race is held here, probably the best attended on the racing calendar and an important springboard for budding fashion designers.
7. Revel in the sweet scents generated from the 600 rose bushes planted in the formal rose garden at Jameson Park. The park is popular for wedding photos taken amongst the tapestry of bright colours.
8. Sip coffee on the deck at the People’s Park café alongside the Moses Mabhida Stadium while the children play in a safe and green environment. Free parking and Wi-Fi. Take a tour of the stadium to see the impressive interior and press facilities.
The nearest airport is King Shaka International Airport, 30km from Morningside. There are several car rental agencies in Durban city centre and at King Shaka airport to hire a vehicle, or you could order a rental online. If you have the Uber app, call them for a ride otherwise contact one of the many metered taxis operating in Durban.
Did you know?
If a Zulu person were to call you Mama or Baba, these are a sign of respect, the 2 words meaning Madam and Sir respectively. Adding the letter ‘u’ to the front of the words change the meanings altogether, uMama means Mother and uBaba is the word for Father.
The President’s home in Durban is named after John Dube, the first president of the South African Native National Congress (later changed to the African National Congress) in 1912. Dube also established the first Zulu language newspaper in 1903.
B&B's (also knows as BnB's) vary from one another, but are each unique and offer a personalised getaway. B&Bs, as they are often called, save guests time and money by removing the worry about the first meal of the day This makes planning that much easier for your stay. This is perfect for guests who plan on doing a lot of sightseeing and expect to be out and about the entire day and night. Bed and Breakfasts are often in private homes or converted historical buildings. Meaning if you have a look through Accommodirects listings, you can find the perfect Bed and Breakfast suited to your taste.