Price range, per nightmin R max R
Sunninghill, Sandhurst, Johannesburg (Joburg), Bryanston, Sandton, Kyalami, Gold Reef City, O.R. Tambo Airport, Auckland Park, Rosebank JHB, Melville, Houghton, Dinokeng, Melrose, Lanseria, Fourways, North Riding, Braamfontein, Midrand, Linden
Johannesburg Zoo, Hillbrow Tower, Sandton City, Northgate Dome, SAB World of Beer, Moyo Restaurants, Nelson Mandela Square, Nelson Mandela Bridge, Constitution Hill, Apartheid Museum, Newtown Cultural Precinct, Johannesburg Art Gallery and Sculpture Park, Brenthurst Gardens, Enoch Sontonga Memorial Park, Vilakazi Street, ABSA Art Gallery, The Bag Factory, Rand Easter Show, Oriental Plaza, Bensusan Photographic Museum, Standard Bank Gallery, Mandela House, MuseuMAfricA, Madiba Trail, Hector Pieterson Memorial Museum
The opulent suburb of Northcliff is one of the most desirable residential areas in Johannesburg. Located on a ridge, Northcliff has gorgeous views of the surrounding suburbs and the city, particularly at night when the metropolis lights up the sky.
Only 16km from the city centre, Northcliff is also within close proximity of the Sandton shopping precinct, a pulsating expanse of shops, restaurants and entertainment venues in the busy streets.
The climate is warm in summer averaging 24° Celsius with occasional, spectacular thunderstorms and dry, chilly winters with temperatures around the 15° Celsius mark.
Northcliff’s grand homes and quiet, leafy streets that burst into bright lilac colours when the Jacaranda trees bloom, is the idyllic peaceful refuge to escape the hectic and vibrant Johannesburg scene.
Top 8 reasons to visit Northcliff
1. Take a walk up to the ridge to enjoy the views over Johannesburg. Rock climbers come for the boulder strewn routes!
2. Wander through Albert’s Farm, a picturesque 90ha park with a natural spring (artesian aquifer), a small dam for fishing, a wetland, and neat lawns ideal for family sports and rocky ridges used by orienteering clubs.
3. Pack a picnic basket and head for Emmarentia Dam. Hire a boat or walk through the Johannesburg Botanical Gardens that surround the dam.
4. Brightwater Commons is billed as an open air lifestyle centre. The venue hosts regular shows that are well attended and the flea market, children’s activities and plentiful restaurants along the artificial lake’s edge pack in the crowds.
5. If you’re looking for a rocking good time, Mellville’s 7th Street is still the most happening place where varsity students gather on weekends.
6. The Randpark Golf Club adjoining Northcliff has 2 outstanding 18-hole courses and a floodlit driving range for an after-work practice session. A hotel and spa resort is also on the premises.
7. Hike the Melville Koppies Nature Reserve where archaeologists have uncovered evidence of Stone Age camps. Ancient iron furnaces and pottery shards were found here. Ask your host to contact the Friends of Melville Koppies to join a scheduled hike.
8. A drive into the city to browse the Diagonal Street market is an education in African healing practices and dispensing of traditional muti medicines.
Northcliff is 40km from OR Tambo International Airport. The Gautrain (express rail service to the OR Tambo airport) stops at Randburg. There are a number of metered taxi and shuttle service companies operating around Northcliff, otherwise register with Uber and order a ride via your mobile phone.
Did you know?
Nearby Sophiatown was the scene of forced removals in the 1950s during South Africa’s Apartheid era. Prior to this, Sophiatown was famed for its cultural mix, street of shebeens (illegal bars) and was regarded as the hub of jazz and dance. It was one of only a few freehold townships where black people could buy property.
Northcliff Hill (also known as Aasvoëls Kop) is believed to have been inhabited by humans for over 250000 years. At 1807m, it’s the 2nd highest point in Johannesburg.